Saturday, October 22, 2005

Good dharma talk...long bus ride

Of course, is there such a thing as a bad dharma talk, or just a talk that didn't work for a particular person? ;o)

I managed to get to my weekly sangha meeting on Wednesday despite the transportation difficulties arising from last week's hit and run that took out the car. I called Port Authority, the people who run public transportation here in Allegheny County, and it only took two buses and two hours to arrive. Of course, I was supposed to be there early to set up, as we meet in a church and I am learning how to do the altar/cushions setup as part of my training for the refuge vows & lay precepts. I did indeed get there early and did OK, although I still corrected a few minor things before the service started.

And at the end of the service was a great dharma talk. I generally like the talks that the abbot gives when he visits, but this one really answered a lot of questions I have been having, not with some kind of "final answer", but in a way that offers really useful guidance for my practice. I am hoping that my car troubles won't keep me from going to our sangha's yearly intensive, an all day meeting that I have heard is very aptly named. It's so amazing that I've been practicing Buddhism formally with a group and a teacher for nearly 9 months now and I haven't gotten bored or fed up yet. It's definitely challenging, and sometimes takes a lot of effort just to even get there (let alone practice!), but how about that, I still keep going back and asking for more.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hello! Thanks for leaving a comment.

Everything but spam and abusive comments are welcome. Logging in isn't necessary but if you don't then please "sign" at the end of your comment. You can choose to receive email notifications of new replies to this post for your convenience, and if you find it interesting don't forget to share it. Thanks!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...