Thursday, December 29, 2005

What a difference a year makes

Of course, it is also just as applicable to say "What a difference a moment makes", but given the cultural standard of reviewing years at this time on the calendar, why not? Besides, many interesting changes have taken place in that time span:


  • I (successfully) defended my dissertation
  • I received my PhD in Anthropology
  • At the very start of 2005 I began practicing with a Buddhist sangha and went to every weekly meeting except for three (because of obligations to friends or to attend conferences)
  • I applied to over 20 faculty positions, have had half a dozen interviews (with more hopefully to come), and made the short list for at least one position
  • I continued teaching as an assistant or adjunct and was offered a chance to teach my own course in the upcoming spring at a local university
  • I celebrated a seventh wedding anniversary with my wife
  • I started this blog
  • I had the chance each day to learn new things, make new choices, and live a unique life made up entirely of moments that have never been seen before and will never happen again

Not bad, really.

I think a quote, a favorite of a Nichiren Buddhist friend of mine, just seems like it would really fit here:

Ultimately, all phenomena are contained within one's life, down to the last particle of dust. The nine mountains and the eight seas are encompassed by one's body; the sun, moon and myriad stars are contained within one's mind.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hello! Thanks for leaving a comment.

Everything but spam and abusive comments are welcome. Logging in isn't necessary but if you don't then please "sign" at the end of your comment. You can choose to receive email notifications of new replies to this post for your convenience, and if you find it interesting don't forget to share it. Thanks!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...