Wednesday, October 18, 2006

I love you, you love me...

"True happiness comes not from a limited concern for one's own well-being, or that of those one feels close to, but from developing love and compassion for all sentient beings." - cited recently on the Amida-shu member blog "lotusinthemud" from The Dalai Lama: A Policy of Kindness

I posted a comment on that blog, but then I was thinking about this topic, and I figure in addition to plugging a great blog like lotusinthemud, I should make my mea culpa regarding this Buddhist principle (slightly more) visible...
Not to sound like a downer, but I think most of us see that teaching as an intellectually appealing philosophy, but actually realizing it - embodying it - I dunno, I'll admit, I have yet to do it. Trying to summon feelings of compassion or empathy, I may direct it towards myself, people I like, people I don't like, and people I have no real knowledge of, then a generalized "humanity", etc, but it's just a feeble effort. I barely scratch the surface of true compassion, then snap right back to my limited selfish little view of the world for most of my daily affairs. It's a healthy practice I suppose but it can leave me feeling really inadequate.
Then there is another way of looking at it - with a nod to some of the teachings of the Flower Garland school, or the idea of Indra's net, and other examples (from Pure Land, Chan, Nichiren, etc etc) - that a genuine moment of compassion, even a small one, directed towards even a single sentient being, reflects and echos throughout the cosmos. The light of all Buddhas and Bodhisattva's shine through us in that moment, a dazzling display of the heart of the world.
So how about you?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hello! Thanks for leaving a comment.

Everything but spam and abusive comments are welcome. Logging in isn't necessary but if you don't then please "sign" at the end of your comment. You can choose to receive email notifications of new replies to this post for your convenience, and if you find it interesting don't forget to share it. Thanks!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...