Monday, May 7, 2007

I'm still a Scarecrow


Wizard: Why, anybody can have a brain. That's a very mediocre commodity. Back where I come from we have universities - seats of great learning - where men go to become great thinkers. And when they come out, they think deep thoughts, and with no more brains than you have. But - they have one thing you haven't got - a diploma! Therefore, by virtue of the authority vested in me by the Universita Committeeatum E Pluribus Unum, I hereby confer upon you the honorary degree of Th.D.


Scarecrow: Th.D.?
Wizard: Yeah - that - that's Dr. of Thinkology
Scarecrow: How can I ever thank you enough?
Wizard: Well, you can't!


The Scarecrow gets all the way to the Emerald City and gets his Doctorate in Thinkology, but he is still a Scarecrow. His head all full o' stuffin'. I can relate.

I spent many years acquiring degrees of higher education. I appreciate the challenges and the rewards of my endeavors - going farther than I ever thought possible and mastering many areas of study I wasn't sure I could handle. My critical thinking and organizational skills were stretched and strengthened. It will be two years this August since I finished my highly extended formal education, and it's as true now as when I received my diploma - I am still me, only now with formal credentials. My head all full o' stuffin'.

Everyone can read their own life lessons and philosophy into a movie like The Wizard of Oz, so I don't want to claim it was a "Buddhist movie". However, one can imagine a group of pilgrims arriving in the Emerald City and being rebuffed by the Great and Wise Buddha, because that is what they are expecting - given a series of challenges to become worthy. Yet behind the Bigger than Life image is a amiable and practical gentleman. And even then, the pilgrims still think the Buddha will be able to give them their preconceived version of enlightenment - wisdom, compassion, fearlessness. So he hands out a bowl and a robe and a set of beads. He shaves their heads. But he also tells them they "have" everything the Buddhas and Bodhisattvas "have".

If I only had Bodhi...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hello! Thanks for leaving a comment.

Everything but spam and abusive comments are welcome. Logging in isn't necessary but if you don't then please "sign" at the end of your comment. You can choose to receive email notifications of new replies to this post for your convenience, and if you find it interesting don't forget to share it. Thanks!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...