Wednesday, May 30, 2007

Peace Prayer of St. Francis

Continuing a general theme this week inspired by the Memorial Day holiday, allow me to present another prayer for peace. This one comes from the Christian tradition, but it doesn't require much in the way of parsing symbolism to make it more ecumenical [speaking of - here is some context for those who are new to reading my perspective or who have forgotten my approach to things like "God", "religion", etc.]

Lord, make me an instrument of your peace,
Where there is hatred, let me sow love;
where there is injury, pardon;
where there is doubt, faith;
where there is despair, hope;
where there is darkness, light;
where there is sadness, joy;


Grant that I may not so much seek to be consoled as to console;
to be understood as to understand;
to be loved as to love.

For it is in giving that we receive;
it is in pardoning that we are pardoned;
and it is in dying that we are born to eternal life.

1 comment:

  1. These prayers are all very wonderful, and I love to see them all collected here. I especially appreciate this one - I've always had a soft spot for St. Francis. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete

Hello! Thanks for leaving a comment.

Everything but spam and abusive comments are welcome. Logging in isn't necessary but if you don't then please "sign" at the end of your comment. You can choose to receive email notifications of new replies to this post for your convenience, and if you find it interesting don't forget to share it. Thanks!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...