Saturday, September 8, 2007

Metaphors for the Divine

'Every religion describes God through metaphor, allegory and exaggeration, from the early Egyptians through modern Sunday school. Metaphors are a way to process the unprocessible. The problems arise when we begin to believe literally in our own metaphors' - the fictional character Robert Langdon in the novel The Da Vinci Code by Dan Brown

Admission: I have never read the book I just quoted. Nontheless, I like the quote, and given the themes I have written about here (and my recent nonfiction book recommendations), it seemed wholly appropriate to put it up for your consideration...and comment?

4 comments:

  1. why do you make it to hard to email you now? why don't you have a link to m blog?

    ReplyDelete
  2. It isn't hard to email me. My email is the same, and it is listed in the sidebar of the main page. But I don't post it as a link because spam robots (spambots) and other software scan websites for new email addresses so that the spammers can send out their junk or their viruses.

    And there is (still) a link to your blog. It is with the other Christian blogs.

    ReplyDelete
  3. well what is it? I don't have my address book anymore. email me if you want metacorck@peoplepc.com.

    i didn't think viruses could live in email?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well, as it says in the sidebar:

    Want to ask a question or suggest a topic? I'd love to hear what you have to say. Honestly. Just drop me a line at

    tinythinker (at) yahoo (dot) com

    and I will consider what you have to say. For replies to individual posts just use the comment feature.


    Viruses can still be transferred by email, but even just extra spam minus the bugs is annoying.

    ReplyDelete

Hello! Thanks for leaving a comment.

Everything but spam and abusive comments are welcome. Logging in isn't necessary but if you don't then please "sign" at the end of your comment. You can choose to receive email notifications of new replies to this post for your convenience, and if you find it interesting don't forget to share it. Thanks!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...