Friday, November 9, 2007

Poem: "I am"

I found the following poem on the web. The author is listed as unknown. First, I do realize this is almost certainly an allusion to the Abrahamic religious view of God as "I AM". However, this concept, of the universal subjective referring to the ground of existence, is not limited to Biblical traditions. Taken in either a mystical context within those traditions or in a Buddhist context, it is a statement of non-duality. Ironically, the title of respect for the Buddha is sometimes translated into English as "Lord". Given such a context, the following poem can be viewed as a valuable insight into realizing our own fundamental nature...

I was regretting the past and fearing the futures,
Suddenly my Lord was speaking,
"My name is I am".
He paused, I waited, He continued.

"When you live in the past,
With its mistakes and regrets,
It is hard; I am not there.
My name is not "I was".

When you live in the future,
With its problems and fears,
It's hard; I'm not there.
My name is not "I will be".

When you live in this moment,
It is not hard; I am here.
My name is I am."







What is your name?



No comments:

Post a Comment

Hello! Thanks for leaving a comment.

Everything but spam and abusive comments are welcome. Logging in isn't necessary but if you don't then please "sign" at the end of your comment. You can choose to receive email notifications of new replies to this post for your convenience, and if you find it interesting don't forget to share it. Thanks!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...