Wednesday, January 23, 2008

Can (or should) we speak of a universal religion of love?

I found this in my INBOX recently from Beliefnet...
Forming a new world religion is difficult and not particularly desirable. However, in that love is essential to all religions, one could speak of the universal religion of love.

-His Holiness the Dalai Lama
From "The Pocket Dalai Lama," edited by Mary Craig, 2002.
I have no interest at all in trying to force my own interpretation onto what the Dalai Lama is saying, but I think the reason this makes sense to me is something I have written about before - my belief that the concept of divine Love as referred to in 1 Corinthians 13 (a.k.a. "agape" or "caritas") is the same as the heart that embraces the Four Immeasurables (compassion, loving-kindness, equanimity, sympathetic joy) expressed in Buddhism. I suspect this has equivalents in other major and minor religions and spiritual traditions. What do you think?
Enhanced by Zemanta

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hello! Thanks for leaving a comment.

Everything but spam and abusive comments are welcome. Logging in isn't necessary but if you don't then please "sign" at the end of your comment. You can choose to receive email notifications of new replies to this post for your convenience, and if you find it interesting don't forget to share it. Thanks!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...